Friday 2 June 2017

Adams fears sad end for Wenger


Tony Adams fears Arsene Wenger's record-breaking reign as Arsenal boss could "end in tears" now he has signed a new deal. 
The season-long saga over Wenger's future was resolved this week as he signed a two-year extension in the wake of Saturday's FA Cup final win over Chelsea.

Victory at Wembley gave the Gunners' longest-serving boss a record seventh win in the competition, but a fifth-placed Premier League finish was the worst result of Wenger's 21-year reign and reaction to his new deal among supporters has been mixed.

The Frenchman has made it clear the priority now is a first league title since 2004, but his two-time double-winning captain told Sky Sports News HQ he doubts whether that is achievable in the short-term.
"I believe this squad is not going to win the league in the next two years," said Adams, who skippered Arsenal to four league titles. "It could possibly all crumble around him, and I think that would be very sad.

"From one human being to another human being, I hope it doesn't. I really prayed that he'd get out after the FA Cup, say 'enough is enough' and find someone else to replace him.
"I don't know who that is. I don't know the legacy of Arsene. Maybe in the next two years he will have a legacy and he will get a transition of new coaches coming through. If he's doing that I say 'fantastic Arsene, wonderful'.




"I just think he's been the most successful Arsenal manager of all time. I don't want that spoiled and I see signs that he's incredibly addicted to football. I don't see that he's got a life outside of it.

"I just don't want him to go on too long and for it to crumble and end in tears, and all of us don't like Arsene. It would be so sad."
Adams' recent book included criticism of Wenger's coaching ability which the former England captain, who had a recent short spell in caretaker charge of Granada, says was misrepresented.

He said: "I tried to be constructive with my book and in the serialisation it was taken out of context. I criticised his coaching ability. I stand by that. My point was he's not the best coach I've ever had.
"He's a good coach, don't get me wrong. 

Compared to most he's right at the top, but he didn't teach me. Don Howe, Terry Venables, Terry Burton, George Graham - these are the guys that taught me how to defend. Arsene taught me about life, philosophy and being a wonderful human being."

Adams also suggested Wenger should have "swallowed his pride" and added him to the Arsenal coaching staff, saying: "I think six or seven years ago I could have been an asset to the club, but he definitely kept me out.

"There's no reason for him to take me back just because I played there for 22 years - it's not about that - I just believe I could have maybe helped him. We could have been a good team, we could have worked well together."

No comments:

Post a Comment