Tuesday 13 June 2017

Mum gives son condoms for 13th birthday to teach him something important




Mum Zephy Mahlis wants to raise her young sons as 'gentlemen'.

The mother puts great importance on building a strong connection with her children, 13 and five, and feels that one vital thing to teach them is respecting women.

Zephy's eldest, James, only recently entered adulthood. She thought it would be educational – and quite amusing – to give him an 'emergency' birthday box full of products.

In it, the mum, from New South Wales in Australia, put the likes of batteries, shaving products and lotions, gift cards, and condoms. She thinks he'll find all of them useful in the coming years.

“I need to make sure that my son feels he can come to me about everything and anything with no judgement on my side,” Zephy told Kidspot .
“It’s vital to me to be connected with my teenage boy. I parent where I have to and I’m a friend when I need to be.”

Zephy shared a picture of the birthday kit on a Facebook page for parents. She said she doesn't imagine James will need the shaving products or condoms any time soon – but knows that they'll be needed one day. They're inclusion was lighthearted, but with a message.

She added: “We need to educate all our children. Luckily enough my bond with my son is incredible,” she says.
“I taught him early the correct names for body parts, ‘penis, vagina and breasts’. He understands why a woman has a period; the cycle the mood swings. We taught him to respect his manhood and respect any lady.”

Zephy said she's also talked to her 13-year-old about respect during sex

“I’ve guided him as much as I can by teaching him when that time comes to make it special not just for you but that girl too,” she said. “If it’s her first time, make it magical, memorable, be a gentleman.

“Some might say ‘he’s only 13’, but I read stories of 13-year-olds having sex. It’s way too young, I don’t condone it, but we must get with the times.
“I need to make sure my child is aware of what happens when one decides to have sex, what’s involved and what could happen; pregnancies and STDS.”

Zephy's Facebook post got thousands of likes and positive messages from other mums. Many said they're going to do something similar with their kids.
James was apparently pleased with his box, too, and 'high-fived' his mum and 'laughed'.

No comments:

Post a Comment