BOGOTÁ, Colombia — August 20, 2026
At least 13 people have died and seven others have been injured after a landslide struck an illegal gold mine in southwestern Colombia, authorities said.
The tragedy occurred on Wednesday night in Policarpa, in the Nariño department, when a slope collapsed onto people working at the mine. Initial reports suggested that an explosion may have caused the incident, but local authorities later confirmed that the disaster was caused by a landslide.
Emergency crews, including firefighters and local residents, rushed to the site as rescue operations began. Excavators were brought in to clear the debris and search for people who might have been trapped.
Authorities said the rescue operation was completed at around 2 a.m., after all reported missing workers had been accounted for. Seven people were rescued with injuries and taken for medical attention.
The incident has once again highlighted the dangers associated with illegal and poorly regulated mining operations in parts of Colombia, where workers can face significant risks from unstable ground and inadequate safety measures.
Officials are expected to investigate the circumstances surrounding the collapse, including the conditions at the mine and whether safety regulations were being followed.
The deaths have sparked grief among families and communities in Nariño, with authorities expressing condolences to those who lost loved ones in the tragedy.
The investigation into the cause of the collapse is ongoing.

No comments:
Post a Comment