Friday 26 May 2017

Graf told Agassi to coach Novak


Andre Agassi has admitted his wife Steffi Graf urged him to take up the chance of becoming Novak Djokovic's new coach.

The 47-year-old American said he initially rejected the Serbian's offer to work with the 12-time Grand Slam champion, before tentatively agreeing to assist him at the forthcoming French Open.

Earlier this month, Djokovic dispensed of his coaching team as he began the process of trying to rediscover his best form.

And when the reigning French Open champion came calling, Agassi's wife Graf, who won 22 Grand Slam singles titles between 1987 and 1999, said he should test the water in Paris.
He said: "Novak called me about three weeks ago and I said 'no' at the start.

"But my wife said 'you should go, you will love it'. We had organised a family trip during Roland Garros anyway which was planned for a long time.
"So I hope to see one or two of Novak's matches and try to bring to him what I can because even a small remark can do a lot.

"What I know, with certainty, is that he can be even better than yesterday. I think he can only improve, because he understands how strong he is."
Agassi and Djokovic practised for the first time at Roland Garros on Thursday but the former insisted that he was not in the market for a full-time job.

He added: "The only agreement we have is for Paris, and given our discussions, it's not a full-time job for me." - Sky Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment