Plateau State, Nigeria — August 19, 2026
At least 25 people have been killed in a deadly overnight attack on a village in Nigeria’s central Plateau State, according to local officials and residents, raising fresh fears of retaliatory violence in the already troubled region.
The attack reportedly took place during the night when armed assailants entered the community and moved from house to house. Residents said women and children were among the majority of those killed.
Lemun Le’an Iliya, a councillor representing the affected area, initially reported that 23 people had been killed, with another victim later dying in hospital. Resident Amos John subsequently said another death had been recorded, bringing the reported toll to at least 25.
The violence has once again highlighted the persistent insecurity in Plateau State, where long-running tensions involving farming communities and herders have repeatedly resulted in deadly attacks, displacement and destruction of homes.
There are growing concerns that the latest killings could trigger reprisals, potentially leading to further bloodshed between communities. The cycle of attacks and retaliation has made several parts of Plateau particularly vulnerable to renewed violence.
The latest incident has renewed calls for stronger security measures and urgent intervention to protect vulnerable communities and prevent further escalation.
Authorities are expected to investigate the attack and establish who was responsible, while residents continue to mourn the victims and fear further violence.
The Plateau attack adds to a long-running security challenge facing communities across central Nigeria, where civilians have repeatedly borne the brunt of violent conflicts.
Source: Reuters

No comments:
Post a Comment